So, my previous post talked a bit about David Wolfe and his awesome presentation at IIN Mega Conf in LA last month. I clued you in to his first five superfoods that may change your life. Now, I am going to reveal the remainder of his Top 10 List. **Drumroll, please…***
6. AFA Super Blue-Green Algae – sounds like something out of a deep sea movie, right? Well, it is. Only unlike spirulina (see previous post), blue-green algae prefers fresh water as opposed to brackish, salty water. AFA blue-green algae are made primarily of soft proteins and polysaccharides that are easy to digest. It’s loaded with chlorophyll, trace minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, iron, and B vitamins. You can make tasty salad dressings, salsas, smoothies and soups using AFA super blue-green algae.
7. Marine Phytoplankton – is the basis of the Earth’s entire food chain. This is the best source of long-chain omega 3 fatty acids! It’s also a great source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and protein. The possible benefits of consuming this superfood include increased energy, improved immune function, decreased aches and pains, weight loss, improved memory, blood sugar stabilization, fewer cravings, improved concentration, BETTER SEX, calm and well being, better sleep (probably from the better sex), and the list goes on (but no one is going to read it since they already saw the “better sex” highlight).
8. Aloe Vera – perfect. Not another crazy sea item that no one has ever heard of. Most of us are familiar with the healing benefits of topical aloe vera. Imagine what it can do inside your body! Aloe vera is helpful for digestive problems, killing candida (yeast), and reducing inflammation. It also helps to keep white blood cells healthy by increasing the production of glutathione (an antioxidant that is critical to the production of while blood cells). Aloe vera is available to drink if many forms and flavors.
9. Hempseed – No, this is not a seed that you smoke. Hemp does happen to be classified as Cannibis sativa, the same species as marijuana, but it’s a species which contains hundreds of subspecies varieties. Hemp belongs to the same family of plants as mulberry. Hempseeds contain all the essential amino acids and fatty acids necessary to maintain life on this planet. It is also an excellent source of major trace minerals.
10. Coconuts – You knew I would get to at least one “superfood” that everyone could pronounce. There are so many benefits to eating coconuts and drinking coconut water: improved digestion and absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and amino acids; improved immune system function; improved utilization of blood sugar; improved absorption of calcium and magnesium ions; help in regulating hormone production; increased metabolism; support of healthy cholesterol formation in the liver; great rehydration; and SO MUCH MORE! Coconut water is my personal drink of choice for rehydration after my intense workouts.
And there you have it. The completion of David Wolfe’s Top 10 Superfoods List!
Disappointed that the list is complete? Well, Mr. Wolfe does have a few Superfoods that made his “Honorable Mention” list. Let me know if you would like to hear about what those are 🙂 And you know where to find me if you need help finding these Superfoods or figuring out how to incorporate one or two of them into your life.