“I’m on the hunt I’m after you…” only in my situation, I am not pining over a lovely lady, I am ravenous for FOOD! Two weeks into my training program and I have noticed a HUGE increase in my appetite. At this rate, I will be 10 pounds heavier by July instead of a few pounds lighter!
Have been working to fuel my fiery appetite with healthy choices – more veggies, a bit of extra lean proteins, an extra snack of nuts or Greek yogurt here and there and some SUPERFOODS. I’ve made the move to incorporate these “Superfoods” into my diet based on one of the fantastic speakers I heard at IIN Mega Conference a couple weeks back.
David “Avacado” Wolfe is the “rockstar of the superfoods and longevity world.” David works and cooks with “America’s TOP CEOs, Global Ambassadors, Hollywood celebrities, busy professionals, and even the most powerful buying influence in the nation—Moms—all look to him for expert advice in health, beauty, herbalism, nutrition and chocolate!” David has dedicated 16 years of studying the inner workings of the human body and he “walks his talk” which was clearly evidenced by his natural beauty, vibrant health, and unparalleled energy on stage!
David’s philosophy is that I am a “gastronaut” (not a wolf) – experimenting with flavor and food in my body to gain health benefits. And there are superfoods that can assist in my journey to obtain optimal health. According to “Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future,” (a book by Wolfe published in 2009), David preaches about his top 10 Superfoods, and he went into detail about most of them during his IIN talk. So what are they? And what do they do? Well, keep reading for the first five…
1. Goji Berries – boost immune function, increase alkalinity & vitality, provide liver protection, improved eye sight & blood quality, deliver anti-aging compounds, and more!
2. Cacao (raw chocolate) – YES! CHOCOLATE IS ON THE LIST! contains the highest concentration of antioxidants of any food in the world! Helps protect us from age-related health conditions and illnesses and protects our DNA from free radical damage. Contains many great things including magnesium, iron, chromium, manganese, zinc, copper, vitamin C, tryptophan, serotonin, and more! WARNING: EATING CACAO MAY CAUSE YOU TO HAVE THE BEST DAY EVER!!! (according to Mr. Wolfe).
3. Maca – a powerful adaptogen which can help the body stabilize its hormonal, nervous, and cardiovascular systems. It is also a powerful aphrodisiac – A NATURAL VIAGRA!
4. Bee products (honey, pollen, propolis, royal jelly) – another great antioxidant which has also been shown to increase strength, endurance, and energy. However, if you have a blood sugar problem, or cancer, it may be a good idea to stay away from honey.
5. Spirulina – are freshwater, microscopic algae that have been living on the planet since the appearance of life on Earth. They are green-blue in color (the green from chlorophyll and the blue from phycocyanin). The benefits of spirulina include: it’s a complete protein source, rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, E and K; and it’s a great source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an anti-inflammatory essential fatty acid that is needed to build and maintain a healthy nervous system.
I can honestly say, I have been consuming all 5 of these Superfoods for the past few weeks (and some of them over the past few years); however, I don’t do a lot of honey because of my sugar issue. Spirulina and maca are amazing! My hubby is addicted to cacao. My boys like Goji berries in their homemade granola bars. And who does not like honey?!
So while I try to tame the wolf in me, I am using “the Wolfe’s” suggestions to improve the nutrient quality in my life, especially during training time. If you are interested in learning more about these superfoods, I strongly recommend reading David Wolfe’s book. I am here too, if you want help in regards to incorporating these amazing additions into your daily life.
Stay tuned for the second five superfoods later this week! A few more things from the ocean as well as an ancient healer…